Friday, July 8, 2011

Anxiety and Fear

I would be lying if I said that I did not have anxiety and fear about this whole process. For 4 years egg has been a BAD WORD in our home. We have trained Megan to stay away from any form of egg. It is a bit nerve wracking to give your "anaphylactic child" the very food that could potentially kill them. With each dose I am watching and praying that she will be okay. I am very careful not to voice or show my anxiety because I want Megan to see this as a positive process to gain a food that for her whole life has been off limits. In some ways I think that being young puts Megan at an advantage because she does not have the more developed sense of anxiety that an older child or adult might potentially have. The drawback though is that I have to make sure Megan really understands the NECESSITY of being totally honest and open with how she is feeling when a reaction is happening. As we all know time is very critical when dealing with anaphylaxis.

No comments :

Post a Comment